Setting Your Goals – Easier Said, Easily Done
By Muscle Media
The power of goal setting is an open secret known by top-caliber athletes, successful entrepreneurs and achievers in many different fields. The basics of goal setting tend to give you short-term and long-term motivation and focus. They help you focus on the acquisition of any required knowledge. They help you to plan and organize your resources and your time to get the best out of your life.
Setting clearly defined short-term and long-term goals will enable you to measure your progress. You can achieve personal satisfaction once you have successfully met your goals. Charting your progress will also enable you to clearly see the stages of completion that lead to the realization of your goals. This eliminates feelings of a long and pointless grind. Your self-confidence and level of competence will also improve. You will be more aware of your capabilities as you achieve your goals.
The basics of goal settings involve deciding what you really want to do with your personal life. You will decide the short and long-term goals you need to achieve. Then, you have to break your goals down into the smaller and manageable targets. These must be completed on your way to achieving your lifetime targets. Once you have your list, waste no time in getting started.
An excellent way to start is to develop a manageable list of both daily and weekly goals. By doing this you will be always be moving forward with your life plan. Every day will give you opportunities to fulfill certain goals while giving you the feelings of accomplishment.
Pointers for Setting & Achieving Goals:
- Attitude plays a very big role in setting and achieving your goals. You must ask yourself if any part of mind is holding you back. If any part of your behavior is a hindrance or puts your plans into disarray? If you do have problems, immediately address the problem. Solutions may include a visit to a doctor or counselor to help control your emotions.
- Successful careers are often made by good time management practices. Failing is often attributed to bad time management. Careers require a lot from an individual. This often makes their career central in the life of the individual. Make a plan as to how far you want to go into your career.
- Education is an essential key to achieving your goals. If your goals require that you have a certain degree, a particular certification or demand a certain skill, make plans to get the appropriate education.
- Your family should never be left out of your plans. If you are just starting out, you need to decide if and when you want to be a parent. You also have to know if time would permit you to be a good parent or spouse.
- Personal financial situations also play a major role in achieving your goals. Develop a realistic goal on how much money you really want to earn. You should also create benchmarks or stages to keep track of your earning progress.
- Determining your physical capabilities should be one of your priorities. Physical limitations may be overcome with proper planning and training.
- The old saying: “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy”, is quite true. Giving yourself a little pleasure should always be included into your plans.
- To start achieving your lifetime goals, set a quarter of a century plan. Then, break it down to 5-year plans, again to 1-year plans, then 6-month plans monthly plans, then weekly, then daily. Simply writing it down will help give clarity to your plan.
- Create a things-to-do list for the day. Periodically review your plans and prepare for contingencies.